- Faculty of Arts (UM)
- Faculty of Education (UM)
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences (UM)
The aim of the project ‘Slovene in the palm of your hand’, which began in August 2017, is the creation of an interactive learning e-environment for Slovene language. It is co-financed by the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Slovenia and the European Union Social Fund, and carried out by the University of Maribor. It was created in cooperation between the Faculty of Arts, the Faculty of Education and the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. It will run until the end of September 2021.
The purpose of the project is to create an innovative interactive learning e-environment, intended to enrich the teaching of Slovene language. Using the most modern language technologies, we try to overcome the limitations of the existing e-environments in a way which goes beyond the simple transfer of workbook designs into electronic form, but an e-environment that:
- is highly automated and allows for almost unlimited number of cases for individual exercises within certain sets,
- automatically adapts to the needs of each individual user,
- is interactive, automatically provides the user with information about his performance and guides him through different tasks,
- exploits the gaming element of the computer environment for motivation.
The main target group are primary school students attending the sixth grade and secondary school students – that is, users who can create longer texts, but with have deficits in linguistic expression and understanding, especially in relation to non-fictional texts. It is precisely these shortcomings in the linguistic expression and comprehension of texts that we focus on in the e-learning environment ‘Slovene in the palm of our hand’.